Alopecia can affect both the scalp, and the entire body. The loss of hair can be
the result of heredity, definite medications or underlying disease. Various types
of the sickness can affect anyone – men, women and children, and in the most
Alopecia or hair loss may occur differently, depending on a
problem that is causing the disease. Hair may start to fall suddenly
and may be gradual. Some types of alopecia hair are temporary, the
other ones are permanent.
The main signs are:
- Gradual thinning on the top of the head.
- Round or spotted bald spots.
- The sudden weakening of the hair.
- Alopecia on the body.
Classification of Alopecia
Standard Classification of alopecia does not exist. Alopecia can be:
- total (complete lack of hair);
- diffuse (sharp thinning hair);
- focal (lack of hair in limited areas);
According to clinical features and origin of alopecia it can be:
- alopecia areata (circular, lobular);
The Causes of the Sickness
The reasons of baldness are the following:
- Hormonal. The most usual reason of hair loss is hereditary condition,
called male or female alopecia areata. Some sex hormones cause specific permanent hair loss.
- Medical. Some medical reasons may lead to baldness, including:
- Thyroid problems.
- Problems with immune system.
- Infections of the scalp.
- Other skin diseases.
- Other. Alopecia may be a result of the following conditions:
- Physical or emotional distress.
- Hair pulling.
- Some hairstyles.
The following therapies and methods may help in cases of baldness:
- Elimination of different disorders of the body systems.
- Psychotropic and nootropics.
- Vitamins (A, E), phytin, biotin.
- Immunocorrecting drugs.
- In severe cases, can be used corticosteroid therapy.
- In severe cases, UV rays are useful to combine with taking photosensitisers or conduct photochemotherapy.
- Laser therapy.
- Medication with different preparation (Propecia, Minoxidil etc.).
- It is vital to use the proper shampoo.
- When seborrheic alopecia occurs, it is advised to wash hair one time in 5-7 days.
- For all types of baldness a diet of fresh vegetables and fruits,
as well as products containing gelatin and sea kale.
- Hair transplantation.
You have to remember that self-treatment may be dangerous for your life, so consult
a professional before your undergo any medication.